When we are born we have our parents, possibly siblings, and they are our brother, or sister, and hopefully our friend. We learn, grow, and change by having parents and siblings. By the time we are in our early teens, we are shaped by the peers around us. We soon realize that even though our parents are great and that our siblings are equally as amazing we still want more, so that’s where friendships outside the family comes in.
Personally for me I have learned and changed more from my friends who are basically family more than I did from my own family. I am not saying that we can’t change or grow from our family members. I am saying when we are in friendships with people outside our families, a person is more likely to call you out on the things you are struggling in than your family would because they love you and don’t want to hurt your feelings. However, this is not the case for everyone because every family is very different.
I have learned that Friendships are important because:
- you get to meet someone who is very different from you. That can range from social economic status all the way to the way they think about life.
- You get the chance to learn to love someone you are completely not related too. where there is no obligation.
- You get to learn to be vulnerable. (I Love this part about friendships.) You get to share your story, your likes, dislikes, and the complete (almost) history of your life and all you have seen.
- Scripture says “a sweet friendship refreshes the soul” Proverbs 27:9 How crazy is it to have a friend who loves you so well, that being around them makes your soul want to do a crazy dance. How insanely awesome is it to have a friend, that being in their presence without saying anything they totally understand you and that alone comforts your soul. I know when i am frustrated, my friends are able to comfort me and make me feel so much better.
- Scripture also says “one who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother” I love these two verses that points how important friendship relationships are and when its a healthy friendships, it brings life into a person. The type of friendship relationship scripture talks about encourages, loves, supports, and fights for you in any and every way.
One of my favorite stories from the Old Testament is the friendship between Ruth and Naomi. Even though Ruth had lost her beloved husband she was still willing to stay with someone who reminded her of him. In that story, Naomi is in so much pain that she changes her name, and tries to push her daughter in law away. But that alone makes Ruth pull closer , she tells Naomi,” Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.” How insane is it that you Love someone so deep, that this is how you feel about them.
So look into your life:
-Do you have a friendships relationship that refreshes your soul?
-Do you have a group of friends that when they see you go into ruin, they pray for you and call you out?
This life is too long, and too wild to live alone and not have those deep intimate friendships. One of my friend who is basically a sister, calls Best Friends “forever friends”, ever time i think about her it brings a smile to my faces.
I hope this post encourages you to seek meaningful friendships. May Abba Keep you and continue to shape and mold you.
With love and grace, -Winnie